Monday, January 21, 2013

WHAT IS YOUR NAME?


Moses encountered God in the burning bush. He was commissioned to set the people of Israel free from slavery in Egypt. And he needed to know the name of the God who had appointed him to this task. So Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?' (Exodus 3:12).

God replied, "I AM WHO I AM." He continued, "Say to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' YAHWEH, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations."

God refers to himself as 'I AM'. And he instructs us to refer to him as 'YAHWEH' which is the third person masculine gender meaning 'HE IS'! God's name is a declaration of his divine self-existing state from eternity to eternity.

The amazing truth of Christianity is that we worship the only self-existing God - the great 'I AM'. And the name by which we are to refer to God is our declaration of faith that 'HE IS'. The book of Hebrews tells us that if we would draw near to God we must believe that 'HE IS'. In other words, we must believe in 'YAHWEH' the self-existing 'I AM'.

 

No comments: